Riding for a Reason

Changing the world, one mile at a time

A day of personal records!

So Sunday was the Tri-ing for Children’s Triathlon benefitting Children’s Hospital of Milwaukee. It was a great cause and the triathlon that my buddies from home Cam, Steve, and Adam all decided to do on New Year’s of this year. So really, this race was my New Years resolution even though I have already surpassed the “Do one triathlon” pledge. :) Steve’s wife, Jordan, and Jordan’s brother Jason also participated in the race. Ot was pretty coold knowing multiple people throughout the race. Kept my attention during the race focused on finding them and giving some words of encouragement.

After the Olympic waves, which included Cam, the Sprint waves started. Adam, Steve, and I were all in the same wave. I got some more use out of my wetsuit, which is a pretty nice security blanket for some extra confidence in the water. My swim stroke remains very efficient compared to the other swimmers in my age group. The only issue I had was that half way through the race, I couldn’t really get a deep breath in, which is usually a sign of my asthma kicking in. When I was younger it was originally thought that it was because of my allergies, but I’m starting to notice, especially on more humid days, that it can be exercise induced as well. After my swim there was maybe a .1 mile run to the transition area. This was where I wanted to make the biggest improvement. Last week it took me 6+ minutes to get on my bike, so I was determined to be better than that. I succeeded!!! I even had to pull my wetsuit off, but with some concentration and waiting to put my socks on until the ride, I was off on the bike in 3:37. Still room for improvement, but I was happy with that.

The bike was where I became a little annoyed. The night before the event organizers changed the bike route from a straight out and back to a loop due to some pavement sealing late last week. That was just one of the many hiccups in the event, but more on that later. I was pretty strong on the bike which had some rolling hills on there. It was a 15 mile ride and I felt fairly strong throughout. This time I had difficulty getting myself to drink my fluids that I had on the bike. I tried to eat my powerbar, but I think I’m going to abandon that strategy in the future. I just can’t breath well enough while trying to eat on the bike. I’m just going to stick with energy gels during the race. In the middle of the race, I hit 34 mph!!! I was pretty happy with that. It’s a new record and it was a longer hill that I could really gain some speed. At the end of the bike I had to manuever through some turns to get back to the transition area. It felt pretty cool weaving through with supporters cheering you one as I flew past. Once I got back, I threw on my socks and shoes and it was off to the run. Felt a little week in the beginning, but once I got in stride and got some water (about a 1/2 mile in) I was good to go. I improved my run by 51 seconds so I was pretty happy with that. Still felt like I could go faster though.

My overall time was 1:35:14 which is another 12:15 minute improvement! I was actually shocked when I saw my time. My splits were as follows…

Swim – 9:55
T1 – 3:37
Bike- 48:25
T2 – 1:41
Run – 31:39
Overall – 1:35:14

As far as the Triathlon itself, other than it being for a good cause, I don’t think I will be participating in it in the future. Parking was at Kettle Moraine State Park, which on top of paying for the triathlon, which included a $10 fee for the USAT membership, you had to pay $5. It felt very “Ticketmaster” like in the additional fees you suddenly had to pay. On top of that, it took us 30 minutes to park because it took so long for people to pay, then lots were full and we got moved all around the park to the next lot. After that, they delayed the start by 15 minutes to help with the congestion, but it was still extremely hectic to get everything setup and find a spot in the transition area and pick everything up. The swim course was nice, but the last minute bike course had some extremely bumped areas where I couldn’t really get any momentum because every bump I hit killed the momentum. On the run you had to start and finish on a narrow path where it was difficult to pass anyone, then when I was out on the route, a pickup actually beeped at a runner because he wanted to get through… I think that the traffic control should have been handled a little better. The was just ridiculous that someone would beep at a racer. Apparently it was due to 250 people that signed up in the last ouple weeks, but if they aren’t prepared for a certain number of people, they should have closed registration early. But regardless, we made it a great day and I think everyone wants to do another triathlon before the end of the year.

At the end of the day, those 15 miles at an average of 18.59 mph makes my YTD total 456.37 miles or 91.3% of my goal!!!


July 27, 2009 - Posted by | Triathlon | ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: